The formidable combination of Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Marie Curie Cancer Care have persuaded Lord Forsyth to undertake one last major mountaineering expedition. He is taking on the daunting challenge of climbing the highest peak in Antarctica Mount Vinson on behalf of two charities: Marie Curie Cancer Care and Child in Need India (CINI).
"I was able, thanks to the support of so many people, to raise about £220,000 for DebRA when I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in 2005. Despite current difficult economic conditions, I would like to try to reach £350,000 this time", says Lord Forsyth. "Four fifths of the total raised will go to Marie Curie and 20% to CINI UK a smaller charity of which my wife Susan is a trustee and I am a patron. I will pay the costs of the expedition personally and, although these are not tax allowable, all contributions in support of the charities are! I hope you will support me in reaching my target, and I am most grateful to those who have already helped to achieve the incredible total shown in the graphic to the right. Both CINI and Marie Curie are great organisations doing very special, much needed and inspiring work."
Marie Curie nurses provide specialist palliative care for dying patients and their families across the UK, and all funds raised for the charity will be matched pound for pound by the NHS. Marie Curie nurses now care for around half of cancer patients who die at home. Given the choice, almost two out of three terminally ill patients would choose to spend their last days in their own homes but only one in four is able to do so. These nurses can help to change that. They work day and night to provide care for patients in comfortable and familiar surroundings. They are also there for families and carers providing practical and emotional support at what can be an exhausting time. Marie Curie nurses are always provided free of charge to patients and carers.
Paul Thompson, head of community fundraising, Scotland and Northern Ireland for Marie Curie Cancer Care, said: "Lord Forsyth of Drumlean is an inspirational, dedicated fundraiser for Marie Curie and we wish him every success in his latest endeavour. We hope many will be encouraged by his efforts to take on their own personal challenge, although it need not be a climb up the highest mountain of Antarctica."
A proportion of the money raised will also fund sustainable improvements in nutrition, healthcare and education for children in India, whose lives are blighted by poverty. CINI UK is a small charity and not well known in Britain. Lord Forsyth has seen at first hand, however, the wonderful work it is doing in India rescuing street children and delivering education, shelter and support to young mothers and their offspring.
The weblinks below provide more information about Marie Curie and CINI. Both are registered charities in the UK and meet HMRC rules for charitable contributions.
Marie Curie Cancer Care
How to give
If you wish to make a donation then please make your cheques payable to 'Marie Curie Cancer Care' and/or 'CINI UK', and send them to the following address:
The Rt Hon Lord Forsyth of Drumlean
House of Lords
London SW1A 0PW
Alternatively, it is possible to donate directly on the Marie Curie website by completing the short form on the right and clicking the 'Give online' button. This will ensure that both charities will benefit from your contribution but if you wish to support only one of them then just indicate your preference on our form.
To make an immediate payment please complete the short form below to create a record enabling us to track your donation, and then click the 'Give online' button.
This will take you to the Marie Curie website which is acting as a clearing house for charitable donations for the Vinson Challenge. Unless you make a specific request,* Marie Curie Cancer Care will retain 80% of your donation and forward the remaining 20% to CINI.
* If you would like to support only one of the charities then click the appropriate box near the end of the form below, and your wish will be respected.